Sunday, April 7, 2013

Fur Rondy!

  It started in the 1930's when the trappers and miners would come to town with the winter yields, officially called Fur Rendezvous. What started as a 3 day social event  has turned into a 2 week festival. The fur action is still a big part of it  and I was overwhelmed at just how many furs a person can wear at one time. There were people literally dressed head to toe in fur. It was pretty cold the first Saturday and I was wishing I had some of it to wear.

 
The weekends were full of all types of Alaskan fun, I watched a snowboard jumping demo and a snow carving competition

 

 




 

 
 
I also had the opportunity to "run with the reindeer". I imagine it is how running with the bulls in Spain would be... except for all the costumes, snow and frigid temperature.  It was only a few blocks and I was more afraid of frost bite than the small timid reindeer. My friend Liza and I didn't not dress up this year but are in the planning stages for the best costumes for next year. I also now own my first piece of camo clothing...the t-shirt for running!






Did I mention it was really cold. I had jeans, boots, sweatshirt and my winter coat with mittens and was still cold while a lot of people had very little clothing on...Alaskans are crazy!!!  I can't wait till next year
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment