Sunday, April 7, 2013

Iditarod 2013!

I had been looking forward to this since I found out I was coming to Alaska. I was a bit nervous that it would be moved to Fairbanks to start due to the small amount of snow that had fallen. Luckily there were a couple of snowfalls just in time.


 There was a ceremonial start in Anchorage the final Saturday of Fur Rondy. The mushers and their dogs take a leisurely jaunt through Anchorage. Fans line the route and the mushers high five the fans as they go by some even stop and grab a beverage from the many parties going on along the trail. I was invited to a large party know as the "trail-gate" They had built a bar out of snow to serve bloody Mary's and beer. They also had a DJ and grilling hot dogs.




 


The following day I headed out to Willow, Ak where the official start is. Nineteen years ago a co-worker and her family took out 2 pink flamingos and set them along the trail. This year they have almost 400! Many of the mushers look for them every year and it is know as "camp flamingo" We set up just a couple of miles from the official start.  In addition to seeing and cheering on every team I also go to experience my first snow machine ride. I also learned not to step off the trail. I was setting out a few of the many flamingos and one step and I was up to my waist in snow!  I also got to meet and share a cookie with Sebastian Schnuelle. He is a famous musher and was covering this year's play by play.  Maybe next year I can go to Nome for the finish!
 

















 
 This was such a fun day. You could tell the dogs live to do this, they were soo happy. Another bucket list item checked off!!

No comments:

Post a Comment